Earlier this week, Frank Francisco announced that he has been temporarily shut down because of swelling in his elbow.
Terry Collins later said Bobby Parnell will take over for Francisco as the team’s closer, in the event Francisco is not ready for Opening Day.
Yesterday, MetsBlog’s Michael Baron talked one on one with Parnell, who said:
- He will prepare the same way he always does for the regular season.
- His presence on the mound has improved over the last few years.
- His knuckle curve has helped make his fastball more effective.
- He can compete with just these two pitches.
- In regards to his beard, “I just wanted to rock it down here for a little bit, or until it starts to get warmer.”
To see Baron’s entire talk with Parnell, watch this: