Earlier today, Mets manager Jerry Manuel made the first of his weekly appearances on WFAN’s afternoon show.
In case you missed it, here is a quick recap of Manuel’s interview:
- Manuel said he pulled Johan Santana with two outs in the sixth inning on Monday to keep him under 100 pitches for his first start.
- Believes Gary Sheffield was a great addition due his presence from the right side of the plate, but Sheffield’s play will be based on performance and may not get a start until next week with his first at-bat coming sometime this weekend.
- Manuel said Sheffield and Ryan Church will not be in a straight platoon, but will play based on matchups and who gives the best chance for the team to win.
- Fernando Tatis may start at second base when the team faces a right-handed starter.
- Believes Daniel Murphy is a work-in-progress in the field and will be replaced late in games, but loves Murphy’s intelligence and gamesmanship.
- He said it’s tough to predict Mike Pelfrey’s performance due to his lack of history.
- John Maine needs to gain confidence he can perform and be comfortable on the mound.
- Oliver Perez loves to improvise on the mound, but needs to be consistent with his delivery.
To listen to Manuel’s interview in it’s entirety, check out WFAN.com.