Live Blog from Citi Field, pres. by Verizon
Check out Michael Baron’s photo blog from Citi Field, presented by Verizon…
The Mets and Marlins play the second game of their series on Tuesday night at Citi Field.
Mets First Pitch begins at 6 p.m. on SNY. The game is scheduled to start at 7:10 p.m.
Bartolo Colon (13-12, 4.14) starts for the Mets, while Nathan Eovaldi (6-11, 4.29) pitches for Miami.
|1. Juan Lagares – CF||1. Christian Yelich – LF|
|2. Daniel Murphy – 3B||2. Donovan Solano – 2B|
|3. Travis d’Arnaud – C||3. Casey McGehee – 3B|
|4. Lucas Duda – 1B||4. Marcell Ozuna – CF|
|5. Wilmer Flores – 2B||5. Garrett Jones – 1B|
|6. Curtis Granderson – RF||6. Jarrod Saltalamacchia – C|
|7. Matt den Dekker – LF||7. Reed Johnson – RF|
|8. Ruben Tejada – SS||8. Ed Lucas – S|
|9. Bartolo Colon – RHP||9. Nathan Eovaldi – RHP|
Jacob deGrom is scheduled to make two more starts this season, Terry Collins told reporters before Tuesday’s game.
The Mets have set a 180-185 innings innings limit for deGrom this season, Sandy Alderson told SNY in early August. DeGrom has made 28 combined starts between Triple-A and the Mets this season, throwing 172 innings to date.
DeGrom is 8-6 with a 2.68 ERA and 131 strikeouts. He leads all NL rookies in ERA and strikeouts, making his a legitimate candidate for this league’s Rookie of the Year award, according to multiple reports.
“There’s a lot of advantage to it, and that is to learn how to do it,” Terry Collins said earlier this season, when asked about deGrom pitching a full year in the rotation. However, at the same time, he added, “As we all know, fatigue is what leads to injuries,” and, “We don’t need to have another Matt Harvey on our hands.”
Similarly, while there was once uncertainty surrounding whether Terry Collins would return (Daily News, September 4), Jon Heyman has reported twice – and as recently as this past weekend – that Collins will be back in 2015 (CBS Sports, Aug. 2014).
“I think Terry’s done a fine job this season,” Alderson said Monday at Citi Field. “We’ve improved in a lot of areas. We’ve seen growth in our young players. I think we’re positioned well for 2015.”
Matthew Cerrone: This certainly reads like a GM who has no plan to fire his current manager, especially since Collins is under contract for at least another season.
In regards to Alderson, I see no point in dismissing him and starting up another GM search with a still-limited payroll and a manager under contract. However, I’m not totally sure why Alderson is getting a contract extension beyond his option.
He was initially tasked with restructuring this team’s business operations in the wake of the Bernie Madoff disaster. I think he’s done that – and done it well – but the past is the past. The Mets appeared to turn a structural corner last winter, which is why he challenged his staff to start making decisions like a 90-win team as opposed to an organization under construction. That said, unless they win nine of their next 11 games, the Mets will again have a losing season.
So, what’s the rush? Why give a three-year extension to a man with a deal that will already keep him under contract for a year simply by picking up his option? In that scenario, Alderson and Collins will both be playing out one-year deals. Lame duck status? So what… I like having people feel they must prove themselves and be sharp to keep moving forward. Why is that a bad thing? Who knows, maybe it will create a sense of urgency that will expedite what Alderson intends to accomplish?
My hunch is that Alderson will sign a multi-year extension, continue, but then step aside at some point during the deal, at which point he’ll hand the reins over to Paul DePodesta and graduate himself to a less-involved role in senior management — sort of like he had with the Padres. I could be wrong, it’s a total guess, but it’s always looked to me like it’s heading in that direction.
If this is the case, I guess the length of the contract extension is somewhat irrelevant. All in all, I like Sandy, but I also have concerns about over-committing to a man and strategy that, despite an improved farm system, has produced the organization’s least successful era in 30 years.
Mets LHP prospect Steven Matz accepted the organization’s Pitcher of the Year award Monday at Citi Field.
Matz finished the minor league regular season 10-9 with a 2.24 ERA and 131 strikeouts in 24 games.
The former second-round pick out of Ward Melville (NY) High School finished his season with the second-best ERA among all Mets minor leaguers and had the second-highest strikeout total.
MetsBlog’s Michael Baron caught up with Matz before he received his award to talk about his season…
Baron: You’ve battled adversity, but seen a lot of growth, especially recently. Did dealing with the Tommy John surgery in 2010 help play a role in that recent growth?
Matz: It definitely played a role for me. I learned about how my body responded to the challenge. I also grew up, both physically and mentally, during the time on the sidelines. I got older and became more mature despite missing so much time >> Read the full Q&A at Mets Minor League Blog.
WSJ: A Look at the Mets’ Fantasy-Football Draft
How do Mets players pass the time when they don’t have a pennant to chase?
The same way everybody else does this time of year: They obsess over their fantasy-football teams, explains Jared Diamond >> Read more in the Wall Street Journal
Matthew Cerrone: I’m told the Mets will be among the teams watching free-agent Cuban OF Yasmani Tomas during his public workout in the Dominican Republic on Sept. 21.
This is good news, because I really want them to seriously consider signing him.
Tomas, who has been cleared to pursue an MLB contract, is currently waiting to be declared a free agent, which insiders expect to happen just after the end of the regular season. He is described as a power-hitting, right-handed corner outfielder, while considered to be one of the top young power hitters in Cuba.
According to multiple reports, Tomas is expected to sign a more lucrative deal than Rusney Castillo‘s $72.5 million contract with the Red Sox.
“Tomas can hit towering home runs thanks to the strength from his thickly-built 6-foot-1, 230-pound frame,” according to reporter Ben Badler (Baseball America, June 20). “He has some experience in center field and is a decent runner for his size, but his speed is still below-average and he’s going to be a corner outfielder in pro ball.”
I was SO wrong about Jose Abreu it’s made to totally question how I view the international free-agent market. The way I understand it, pretty much every National League team was leery of signing Abreu because he profiled to be a DH… and still does.
In this case, though, with Tomas, he’s athletic enough to play in the National League and I want the Mets to make a move on him.
Of course, in June, Sandy Alderson said it was too early to say if the Mets would pursue Tomas (Puma, June 21). Well, it’s almost time, and I hope he’s more than just vaguely interested. This guy can play the outfield. Badler says he hits ‘towering home runs,’ and frankly, that’s good enough for me. At this point, given the state of the Mets’ offense, the weak free agent and trade market, and lack of immediate help in the farm system, even if this guy is a total bust, it would probably be worth the bet.
I spent all last off season writing about how the Mets needed to acquire a home-run hitting outfielder. The Mets signed Curtis Granderson, yet everyone is still writing (as will I) that the Mets again need to acquire a power-hitting outfielder. Well, it reads like Tomas can be that guy. So, as I’ve been saying since July, when the bidding starts this winter, I hope the Mets step up like the home-run hungry New York team they are and go for it.
By the way, while trying to learn about Tomas, I heard a few baseball insiders say they believe the Red Sox may have overpaid to get Castillo so they could try and use him in a deal with Miami to get Giancarlo Stanton. Again, this is speculation, and Castillo can’t be traded until one year after being signed, but it’s a fun rumor to think about…