This afternoon, Sandy Alderson was a guest of Mike Francesa on WFAN, and said he expects to have the necessary payroll flexibility to add to the major league roster when and if necessary (such as the trade deadline, should the team be in contention).
He also said he doesn’t anticipate making any major acquisitions heading into Spring Training or the regular season.
In addition, Alderson basically said the following:
- Johan Santana will throw off a mound later this week in Port St. Lucie.
- Ike Davis is in “terrific shape” and is ready to go – he will have a positive effect for the team.
- Daniel Murphy will get the opportunity to play second base every day – Justin Turner can play a number of positions on the infield.
- He isn’t sure if Spring Training is enough time to determine if Andres Torres will hit.
- It’s a big year for Josh Thole – it starts with improving defensively as well as his game calling.
- He feels the new fences will help Jason Bay.
- He feels the current rotation is “pretty solid,” if Santana is healthy.
- There isn’t anyone on the roster who doesn’t have something to prove.
- Lucas Duda has big offensive potential.
- He believes the team will be far more interesting to watch than most people anticipate.
- He recognizes the passion of the fans.
- He is worried about the defense, but feels the offense will perform this year.
- He expects to be able to invest money in the major league roster at some point.
For the entire interview, keep checking WFAN.com.