This morning at Digital Domain Park, Terry Collins spoke with reporters and said keeping Johan Santana healthy and getting him ready for Opening Day is the key to Spring Training.
According to Collins, it might be necessary to give Santana an extra day off during the year, and he will definitely have extra days off in April due to the added off-days on the schedule.
In addition to his comment on Johan, Collins said:
- Barring anything unforeseen, he expects Daniel Murphy to be the starting second baseman heading into the regular season.
- There will be competitions for bullpen spots, the backup catcher, and on the bench this Spring.
- The Mets are better than people think, though they might have the youngest roster in baseball.
- Even though it’s New York, it’s going to be important for people to remain patient as the organization develops talent from within.
- Ruben Tejada has the chance to be a special player.
- It’s important to get off to a fast start, both for the team and the fans.
- The new dimensions at Citi Field should serve as a mental lift for the offense.
- He loves the bullpen additions of Ramon Ramirez, Jon Rauch, and Frank Francisco.
- It would be beneficial to have a second left-handed reliever in the bullpen, but Ramirez’s ability to get lefties out should not be taken for granted.
To see a live blog of each question and answer,