The Diamondbacks (14-13) defeated the Mets (13-13) by the score of 5-4 tonight at Citi Field.
The Mets have lost four in a row and fell to .500 for the season.
For a full recap and box score, check out SNY.TV.
The Least You Should Know:
- Dillon Gee started for the Mets and he pitched well, allowing two runs and four hits in six innings.
- The Mets put up four runs in the third inning thanks to a two run double from Scott Hairston, an RBI groundout by Ike Davis, and a two-out single by Andres Torres.
- The Mets got at least one hit from hitters 1 – 5 in the lineup.
- David Wright went 1 for 2 with two walks, raising his on-base percentage to .505 for the season.
- An Ike Davis error in the eighth inning opened the door for two runs for the Diamondbacks, thanks to an RBI double by Paul Goldschmidt.
Gee is has really found a rhythm with his off-speed pitches, and those combined with a fastball between 91-92 mph were the recipe for his success tonight. He staggered a bit early but over his last two starts, he has made in-game adjustments with those breaking pitches and been able to consistently throw them for strikes.
The Mets continue to play a sloppy brand of baseball, and it killed them once again tonight. The error by Davis opened the door for the Diamondbacks, and Jon Rauch allowed two run scoring hits to give Arizona the lead. With that said, the bullpen needs to get straightened out, as it’s supposed to be the strength of this pitching staff – it’s been anything but as of late.
The Mets will look to even their series with the Diamondbacks tomorrow afternoon at Citi Field, with Johan Santana facing Patrick Corbin at 4:05 pm.
W.B. Mason Post Game Extra: