The Mets (16-13) defeated the Phillies (14-16) by the score of 5-3 tonight in Philadelphia.
For a complete recap and box score, check out SNY.TV.
[jbox color=”gray”]The Least You Should Know:
- Jordany Valdespin hit a pinch hit go-ahead, three-run homerun in the ninth inning off Jonathan Papelbon.
- David Wright was 1-for-3, including a game-tying two run double off Roy Halladay in the sixth inning.
- Jon Niese allowed two runs on four hits and four walks while striking out five over five innings pitched.
- Frank Francisco pitched a scoreless ninth for his third save in the Mets last three games.
- The Mets bullpen pitched four scoreless innings in relief of Niese, including 1.2 innings from Bobby Parnell.
- Josh Thole left the game in the eighth inning with an upper body injury after a collision with Ty Wigginton at home plate.
Hat’s off to Parnell, who has done a terrific job this year. He’s really gotten his career together, and I’m beyond impressed so far. Last night, he pitched in two innings and kept the Mets in it, following a rocky start from Niese, who again just didn’t have ‘it.’
The game ball has to go to Valdespin, who scooped out a pitch down and in to send it over the right-field fence. Mike Nickeas must get credit as well, battling to rope a double down the left field line with two outs, which allowed Valdespin to get to the plate.
Again, fun game, huge win, and nice work by the Mets…
W.B. Mason Post Game Extra: