Mets offer David Wright a seven-year deal

The Mets don’t believe a contract extension with David Wright will be finalized before the MLB Winter Meetings, which start next week, a source told ESPN’s Jayston Stark.


Nov. 27, 1:56 pm: The Mets believe David Wright will sign a contract extension this winter, a source close to team officials has told ESPN New York.

“They’ve been really optimistic,” the source said.


Nov. 27, 1:23 pm: The Mets have upped their offer to David Wright, going from six years to seven, with the deal now worth in excess of $100 million, Andy Martino reports for the Daily News.

According to ESPN New York, the seven-year deal is an extension that would go into effect in 2014.

Earlier today, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said the Mets offered Wright a six-year deal this past Monday.

Last week, MetsBlog.com’s Matthew Cerrone said Wright had been seeking a seven-year, $140 million contract, despite the Mets only offering a six-year deal.

Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer

This is good news. Wright has been asking the Mets for $20 million a year, with at least seven years guaranteed, which I’ve been writing for weeks. Martino’s report suggests things are getting closer…

ESPN New York’s report means, when all is said and done, Wright could be under contract the next eight seasons (through 2020). I bet this isn’t for $20 million a year, though. My guess is, to give the extra year, the Mets probably wanted to stick to $17 million per year (on average). So, let’s say they caved just a little and tossed in an extra million per season, “you know, for the effort,” that would basically make this an eight-year deal worth roughly $144, which is impressive and should be more than good enough for Wright. It has to be, right?

This all sounds good. I like where it’s headed. Come on, guys… Get. It. Done!