“They’ve been really optimistic,” the source said.
Earlier today, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said the Mets offered Wright a six-year deal this past Monday.
Last week, MetsBlog.com’s Matthew Cerrone said Wright had been seeking a seven-year, $140 million contract, despite the Mets only offering a six-year deal.
Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer
This is good news. Wright has been asking the Mets for $20 million a year, with at least seven years guaranteed, which I’ve been writing for weeks. Martino’s report suggests things are getting closer…
ESPN New York’s report means, when all is said and done, Wright could be under contract the next eight seasons (through 2020). I bet this isn’t for $20 million a year, though. My guess is, to give the extra year, the Mets probably wanted to stick to $17 million per year (on average). So, let’s say they caved just a little and tossed in an extra million per season, “you know, for the effort,” that would basically make this an eight-year deal worth roughly $144, which is impressive and should be more than good enough for Wright. It has to be, right?
This all sounds good. I like where it’s headed. Come on, guys… Get. It. Done!