Prior to tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks, Mets Manager Terry Collins spoke the media and basically said the following, according to SNY:
- Miguel Batista will start on Tuesday against Phillies.
- Doesn’t believe Matt Harvey or Jeurys Familia are ready to be in mix as fifth starter candidates yet. Collins said both still have a lot to learn in the minors about being mentally ready to pitch at the Major League Level.
- The team is considering adding a second left-handed pitcher to the bullpen and will possibly make a move on Sunday.
- Lucas Duda is hitting and feeling much better, but will continue to let Collins know how he is feeling.
- Likes the improvement Ike Davis is showing at the plate, as he is making better swings and has a better approach.
- Despite the injury to Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera, Collins will continue to allow his pitchers to shag fly balls in the outfield during batting practice, saying freaky things happen, but it’s part of the routine and a good way for pitchers to get their running in.