1) Jose Valverde will be the team’s closer, according to Terry Collins, now that Bobby Parnell will miss the rest of the season following next week’s Tommy John surgery.
2) Joel Hanrahan, Ryan Madson, Kevin Gregg and Octavio Dotel are available on the free-agent market. However, while the Mets are open to everything, they are not likely to acquire a player just because Parnell will miss the rest of the season (Daily News, April 7). The Mets scouted and liked Hanrahan during the offseason, and did not send a scout to watch Madson’s showcase in January (Daily News, April 7).
3) Sandy Alderson said last week that he is more inclined to wait and see how things shake out in the big-league bullpen before making any moves internally to replace Parnell. He said, with one or two exceptions (specifically Noah Syndergaard), his Triple-A starting pitchers will get time working out of the bullpen in April to see how they may handle a possible role with the big-league team later this season. This will also help limit their workload, allowing for more innings later in the season.
4) In other words, at least during the next few weeks, the bullpen will likely continue to be Valverde, Kyle Farnsworth, Gonzalez Germen, Jeurys Familia, Carlos Torres, Scott Rice and John Lannan.
5) The Mets bullpen gave up 12 runs in 9 innings to start the season against the Nationals. However, they pitched 8 innings in three games against the Reds this past weekend and allowed only 2 runs..