The Mets and free-agent SS Stephen Drew have had continuous discussion about a contract, according to a source (Carig, Feb. 9).
It was reported this weekend that Drew is seeking an opt-out clause after the first year of his deal, which the Mets view as a deal breaker (Rubin, Feb. 6). Drew has reportedly been seeking at least a three-year contract.
Last week, WFAN’s Mike Francesa said the Mets made an offer to Drew, but that was refuted by the New York Post, Daily News, WEEI in Boston and SiriusXM’s Jim Bowden, all citing sources aware of the situation.
The Mets are ‘not unwilling’ to offer Drew three years, but so far that hasn’t been necessary, Sandy Alderson told a group of season-ticket holders last week.
The Red Sox have also shown interest in Drew. However, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said this weekend that he may finally be ready to move on and go with the roster he’ll have in camp (SiriusXM, Feb. 9).
Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer
Again, semantics. I’m sure Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, will define contract talks differently than a team will. The point is, I’m sure Boras is pitching and whether teams are swinging or missing is probably a matter of perception. Obviously, the Mets have some sort of interest, and Drew clearly knows he should play for the Mets (given the opportunity, playing time and spotlight). The Mets clearly don’t want to over commit, but Drew most certainly doesn’t want to be a free agent (coming off a possible down year) next winter when significantly better free-agent shortstops could be available.
Frankly, I still think this is all a ploy by Boras to get the Astros or Twins to offer a better deal, which he would probably accept…