Following yesterday’s win against the Rockies, Mets manager Jerry Manuel talked to reporters and essentially said:
- Mike Pelfrey has had three good starts in a row, including his last Spring Training start. He’s been impressive. He’s doing a good job keeping his secondary pitches down.
- The Mets needed a game like yesterday.
- Pitching sets the tone for this team.
- He hopes pitching, like Pelfrey pitched, is contagious.
- He doesn’t mind aggressive base running, but his team must be smarter about it.
- “If you’re gonna be a fastbreak team, you’ve to expect turnovers. It’s the same for us. if we’re gonna be a running team, we’re gonna run in to some bad situations.”
- There was no sign given when Luis Castillo got tagged out trying to steal second base, while Jose Reyes did not attempt to simultaneously steal third.
- This team has enough character to handle difficult situations.
To listen Manuel’s entire talk with reporters, click play below: