Terry Collins will be a guest of Mike Francesa every Wednesday this season on WFAN.
He talked to Francesa after today’s game, and basically said:
- Oliver Perez threw strikes, he didn’t walk a batter, he changed speeds and put the ball over the plate today, which is what the team asked him to do.
- He’d like to start trimming down the roster sooner than later, especially with four second baseman competing against one another, and nine relievers battling for two spots in the bullpen.
- He would like Daniel Murphy to be on the team, because he’s ‘swinging the bat well’, he’s played third base ‘very well,’ and he gives them a ‘huge option’ as a guy who can play multiple positions with a good bat, not to mention he’s a great teammate and he plays the game as hard as anyone he’s ever seen.
- Murphy has shown him enough to be considered an every-day second basemen.
- Jason Isringhausen has a real chance to make the team.
- Chris Young’s arm is feeling great.
- Pat Misch, Boof Bonser, Chris Capuano and Dillon Gee are also being considered for the starting rotation.
- No player has approached him about any off-field news about Ownership.
- Jason Bay has looked very good, he’s healthy, the concussion issue is behind him and he’s swinging the bat great.
- The team plans to bring Carlos Beltran along slowly, including getting him plenty of days off in April to keep him strong.
- Willie Harris or Scott Hairston will likely start when Beltran gets a day off.
- Ike Davis will have ‘a huge year,’ he’s going to win ‘a lot of Gold Gloves’ in his career, and he’s on his way to being ‘one of the best players in the league.’
- He is very happy with where Josh Thole is at the plate and behind the plate.
- Every player on the team believes Jose Reyes will have the best year of his career.
A few things, 1) Those are strong words about Ike, and it’s awesome to hear, 2) I’m glad to hear they’re going to ease Beltran back in to gear, plus helping to keep him strong throughout, and 3) I’m back to thinking Murphy will make the team, which might mean it’s rad Emaus vs. Luis Castillo to see who gets the boot.
To listen to Francesa’s full 20-min. talk with Collins, click here.