The Mets lost to the Nationals by the score of 3 to 2 in Citi Field tonight.
For a full recap and boxscore, go to SNY.TV.
- Adam Kennedy and Ryan Zimmerman hit back-to-back home runs against John Maine in the third inning. They were the only runs Maine allowed in six innings of work.
- The Mets entire starting lineup (short of Maine) got on base tonight, yet the team left 11 men on base.
- Jose Reyes was thrown out of the game for arguing a called third strike, after which Jerry Manuel was ejected as well.
- David Wright had two hits and struck out just once.
- Jenrry Mejia was hit on the thumb with a ground ball to the mound in the eighth inning, but he remained in the game and finished the inning.
- Angel Pagan hit a solo home run in the ninth inning.
…pinch hitting in the seventh inning, Gary Matthews Jr. struck out with no outs and runners on first and third… i am not even sure why he brought the bat with him… reyes later struck out to end the inning, and went wild… he might have gotten away without being ejected, but he bounced his helmet and kept talking and that was that… jerry charged out, also got hot, throwing fist pumps while shouting in the ump’s face, so, naturally, he got the boot as well… i like the passion, but it’s an indication of how the team is pressing… they look tense, especially late in the game… in fact, the Mets were hitting well late in games during their hot streak, and that is NOT what is happening of late… they look either frozen in the box, or they’re taking bad swings…
The Mets continue their three-game series with the Nationals on Tuesday at 7:10 pm, with Jon Niese (1-1, 3.60 ERA) taking on Scott Olsen (2-1, 3.54 ERA).