USATSI_8721921_110579513_lowres

Wright took ground balls, believes he’ll be in lineup this year

David Wright took ground balls on the infield before Tuesday’s game at Citi Field (July 28, 2:13 pm).

“I think David will be in our lineup by the end of the season for sure,” Terry Collins said, noting that Wright could get minor league game action 7-8 days from today.

Wright will remain with the Mets at Citi Field through this weekend, after which he will move his rehab to St. Lucie, Collins later told reporters (July 28, 4:17 pm). He’s been taking groundballs and hitting off a tee for a few weeks, he told reporters.

“Yeah, I don’t think there’s much of a question about that,” Wright said when asked if he’ll play for the Mets this season.

Wright, 32, has been out since mid-April, while working to overcome and avoid surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis.

“I felt good,” Wright said earlier in the day, according SNY’s Joe Kraus (July 28, 1:55 pm). “And the uniform still fits, so that’s good.”

He told teammates during the team’s trip to Los Angeles in mid July that he isn’t going to rush the process, though he expects to play again this season.

“I’ll be ready when I’m ready,” Wright said.


CerroneCircleAvatarMatthew Cerrone: This is awesome news. It’s the first step. He still has a long road in front of him, on which he’ll keep hoping to avoid residual pain and numbness. Nevertheless, he’s back on field, which is more than can be said for the previous two months. Hopefully, all goes well and we get to see him in the lineup before September 1…




Comment

Listen: What Terry Collins said on Tuesday…

Brandon Nimmo warms up 1

Mets promote OF prospect Brandon Nimmo to Triple-A Las Vegas

The Mets have promoted OF prospect Brandon Nimmo to Triple-A Las Vegas, the team announced on Twitter.

Nimmo, who was the team’s top draft pick in 2011, went 1-for-2 with an RBI representing the Mets during this year’s MLB Futures Game. He is reportedly being included in potential trade proposals as the Mets look to upgrade their offensive production.

He was recently listed as MLB’s 48th-best prospect by Baseball America (July 7, 2015).

“Nimmo isn’t a sexy prospect, but he plays center field, gets on base and shows occasional pop,” Baseball America wrote.

He is considered a potential September call-up because must be added to the team’s 40-man roster before this December or risk being selected by another team during the Rule 5 Draft.


In June, Nimmo returned from a knee injury and talked to SNY.TV’s Gabby Lucivero, which you can listen to here


Comment
Screen Shot 2015-07-21 at 1.33.14 PM

The cost for Brewers OF Carlos Gomez is very high

Latest Update

“I don’t think Milwaukee is really looking to trade Carlos Gomez,” a team source told FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, who says the price for Gomez is very high (July 28, 3:50 pm).

Previous Reports & Info.

The Mets are interested in acquiring Gomez, according to multiple reports. However, nothing has been reported connecting the two teams since July 21, when Milwaukee was seen scouting Brandon Nimmo, Michael Fulmer and other Mets minor leaguers (July 21, 2015).

Gomez, 29, who is represented by Scott Boras, will earn $3-4 million through the end of this season and $9 million in 2016, after which he can be a free agent.

MLB Network Radio host and former GM Jim Bowden thinks the Brewers should send Gomez and LHP Neal Cotts to the Mets for OF Juan Lagares, RHP Rafael Montero, RHP Marcos Molina and Nimmo.


Comment

Keith Hernandez answered questions from fans on MetsBlog, presented by Citi.

What do Mets hitters have to do to be more successful this season?

Keith: “Hit more line drives”

Would you rather have the best pitcher or best hitter on your team?

Keith: “That is a loaded question there. Depends on the other 24 players. The better question would be if you had the first pick on building a team would you rather have the best hitter or pitcher. I’ll say pitcher.”

Have these moves , Uribe, Johnson, Conforto and Clippard, improved the team?

Keith: “Yes, without question.”

To see the rest of what Keith said, click here!




Comment
Zobrist

Royals will acquire Ben Zobrist from A’s

The Royals will acquire Ben Zobrist from the A’s in exchange for two prospects (July 28, 2:10 pm).

The Mets and A’s discussed a deal involving Zobrist through July, but Oakland expected to get better offers from other interested teams, Rosenthal said earlier this week (July 26, 2015).

Instead, the Mets pursued a deal with the A’s for RH reliever Tyler Clippard, which they completed Monday (July 27, 2015)

The Nationals, Pirates, Royals, Angels, Yankees and Cubs are were also reportedly interested in Zorbist.


Comment
Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 1.35.50 PM

Is Tigers OF Yoenis Céspedes an option for the Mets?

CerroneCircleAvatarMatthew Cerrone: I’m getting lots of e-mails and tweets from Mets fans wondering if the Mets can trade with the Tigers for OF Yoenis Céspedes.

I like the idea. It’s a really good fit, since he has 16 home runs, 13 of which are against right-handed pitching. He’s a free agent at the end of the season, shouldn’t cost a fortune, he could bat clean-up, give the Mets power, and push Michael Cuddyer to being a platoon player.

However, multiple reports indicate that the Tigers are not giving up on 2015. In fact, according to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark, they may actually be looking to add a starting pitcher and a reliever (July 28. 12:48 pm) in advance of a run at the Wild Card.

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 1.37.02 PMThe thing is, Cespedes, 29, would be the perfect guy for Detroit to deal for those arms. It’s a long story, but, because of the way his contract is structured, and because of details in the CBA, Detroit is not allowed to sign him back as a free agent unless they work out a provision with MLB (July 23, 2015). And, according to local reports last month, Cespedes loves where he’s at and is interested in staying in Detroit. If the Tigers trade him, say, for pitching that can help them win in 2015, they would at least be able to entertain bringing him back as a free agent.

The Mets reportedly had interest in Cespedes, at least as of last week, according to Newsday’s Marc Carig (July 25, 2015), though he later backed off the claim. He’s also the only one to report on a connection, and the only reports to come out of Detroit the last day or so have been about whether or not they’re buyers or sellers.


Comment
Jose+Reyes+New+York+Mets+v+Colorado+Rockies+1YtcbYI9vBLl

Mets have no plan to acquire Jose Reyes from Rockies

The Blue Jays offered Jose Reyes to every team in baseball, but the Mets were not interested, a league source told Daily News reporter Andy Martino (July 28, 11:30 am).

The Jays and Rockies eventually agreed to a trade swapping Reyes and three pitching prospects for Troy Tulowitzki and LaTroy Hawkins >> Read more.

The Mets have no plans to try and acquire Reyes from the Rockies, according to the NY Post’s Joel Sherman (July 28. 9:30 am).

“There used to be no more elating play in the sport than Reyes rounding second and gaining speed toward third,” Sherman writes. However, “He is not that player any longer. He is a fielding liability. He ranks next to last in Defensive Runs Saved among shortstops. He has a .613 OPS against lefty pitching, negating his impact as a switch-hitter.”

Reyes is making $22 million this season, another $22 million each of the next two seasons and has a $4 million buyout on a $22 million option in 2018.


CerroneCircleAvatarMatthew Cerrone: Ugh, I know Sherman is right. The fact is, Reyes and Ruben Tejada are having equally productive seasons for a shortstop. Also, if Sandy Alderson wanted part of Reyes at age 32, 33 and 34, he would signed him to such a deal back in 2011. The Marlins were literally the only team to offer Jose a deal more than three years, from what I recall.

I still believe Alderson had interest in keeping Reyes, knowing his value to the franchise and Mets fans, but not if it meant having him in his early 30s, which is exactly where Jose is today… plus making $22 million. It’s a shame. I love the idea of bringing Jose home, hearing those chants again and letting the energy rock Citi Field. But, there is enough evidence this morning to indicate no such move is in play, so – again – it’s time to move on…


Comment