1B Mike Napoli could receive a three-year contract on the open market this winter, an anonymous GM told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
“If the Red Sox don’t tie him up for three years, someone will,” the GM said. “He’s a power right-handed bat. If the risk of his hip condition getting worse is minimal, and that’s what everyone would have to find out, the right-handed power bat is pretty enticing.”
Earlier this month, Joel Sherman of the New York Post opined Napoli could sign a three-year, $39 million deal this winter.
Michael Baron, Contributor
Oct. 13: Napoli took to first base really well in Boston, which unquestionably will increase his value this winter. He went from being a below average catcher without a position to a guy who could be attractive to clubs in both the American and National League. He hits for power and, while he gets on base consistently, he strikes out a lot. Injuries had been an issue for Napoli prior to 2013, when he was diagnosed with degenerative hips last year. But, he was durable all year and through the playoffs in 2013, so I wonder if getting out from behind the plate helped him stay healthy.