The Mets will soon take a look at 28-year-old, free-agent Cuban SS Roberto Carlos and Cuban defector 3B Pavel Quesada, sources told reporter Mike Puma (NY Post, Aug. 22).
The team is expected to work out both players in the Dominican Republic next week, according to Puma.
Matthew Cerrone: Look, I hope these guys are great. But, the player I’m hoping to see them go after is Yasmani Tomas, who defected from Cuba earlier this year. He will pursue an MLB contract, though he won’t be cleared to sign or showcase until late this winter, according to people keeping tabs on his situation. He’s described as one of the best young power hitters to come out Cuba. Of course, I’m also told he’s likely to see offers close to $90 million. And, at least so far, I’ve seen no evidence the last few years to suggest Sandy Alderson will even consider signing a guy like this, let alone make an offer… and that’s unfortunate.
I was SO wrong about Jose Abreu it’s laughable. Thankfully, I wasn’t alone, since pretty much every National League team was leery of signing him, because he profiled to be an obvious DH… and still does.
In this case, though, with Tomas, I want the Mets to make a move. At this point, given the state of the their offense and lack of immediate help in the farm system, even if this guy is a total bust, it might be worth the bet. And if Tomas can be that guy, which it sounds like he can, when the bidding starts this winter, the Mets should step up like the home-run hungry New York team they are and go for it…
“Carlos may have slipped through the baseball cracks,” because he didn’t have representation after defecting from Cuba in 2012, a person familiar with the player told Puma.
Sandy Alderson told Puma that his organization is very aware of the Cuban market, though he doesn’t necessarily view it as a short-term fix.
“We scout them now, so it’s not as if we’re not aware of what is going on,” Alderson said. “It’s not like we’re not aware of who is out there.”