The Mets plan to offer R.A. Dickey a two-year contract extension, sources told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
However, Rosenthal says it remains to be seen whether Dickey will accept the offer.
Yesterday, MetsBlog’s Matthew Cerrone said, “The Mets are likely offering him a two-year deal,” probably around $10 to $12 million a year, though Dickey is said to be seeking at least three guaranteed years to start after 2013.
In a poll on MetsBlog.com yesterday, 66% of voters said the Mets should sign Dickey to a contract extension, which is up from 37% last month. Similarly, only 30% of voters said yesterday the Mets should trade Dickey, which is down from 53% from before he officially won the Cy Young Award.
Update, 12:30 pm: Buster Olney of ESPN says that if Dickey were to agree to a two-year extension for 2014-2015, he wants more than $10 million per year.
Update, 12:11 pm: Andy Martino of the Daily News says the Mets offered Dickey a two-year contract two weeks ago and the two sides have been negotiating since. The Mets know Dickey will take a two-year contract worth less than the two-year, $29 million contract Jake Peavy signed with the White Sox.
Martino has said on several occasions that the Mets believe Dickey will accept a two-year deal, though a trade is still possible.
This past Wednesday, Dickey told SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt on Mets Hot Stove he would like to finish his career with the Mets.
“I think [Sandy Alderson] has a great plan for the future of the New York Mets,” Dickey said. “I’m sure it’s going to require a little vision, I’m sure it’s going to require a lot of hard work. But anything worth having – that’s what’s required. I’m on board, and I want to be part of the solution here.”
However, in a conference call with the Baseball Writers Association on Wednesday night, Dickey said he does not want to be taken advantage of in a new deal.
Yesterday, Marc Carig of Newsday said Sandy Alderson would like clarity on Dickey’s situation after Thanksgiving and before the Winter Meetings.
Michael Baron, Contributor
I wonder if the Mets might also include a vesting option or two at the end of the deal. Also, would such an offer partly replace his 2013 option, which was exercised earlier in the off-season? In that scenario, the Mets would be able to mitigate their risk of Dickey declining, all while giving them the flexibility to move him down the road if they choose to. Given Dickey’s age and how he feels about the Mets and the organization’s direction, that might be an appealing scenario for him.
Contract: The Mets exercised their $5 million option for Dickey for 2013. He can become a free agent after next season.
Stats: Dickey went 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA, having allowed 192 hits and 54 walks with 230 strikeouts in 233 2/3 innings. He became the first Met to win 20 games since Frank Viola in 1990, and won the 2012 National League Cy Young Award.
Nov. 8, 2012: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports said the Mets are not showing much interest in signing a new deal with Dickey, and instead are discussing him with possible trade partners.
Nov. 8, 2012: CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman believes the Mets are seeking both a catcher and an outfielder in talks for Dickey.
Nov. 8, 2012: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the Mets are beginning to gauge Dickey’s value on the trade market at the GM Meetings and will weigh their findings against keeping him through 2013 and not signing him to an extension. The Mets remain conflicted as to how to deal with Dickey’s contract situation, Sherman concludes.