Mets showing interest in Kelly Shoppach

The Mets are showing interest in free-agent catcher Kelly Shoppach,’s Ken Rosenthal said this afternoon on MLB Network’s Hot Stove Live.

The Blue Jays, Cardinals, Mariners, Red Sox and Twins have all been linked to Shoppach this winter.

According to a recent report by Andy Martino in the Daily News, the ideal situation for the Mets next season would have Josh Thole catching 60% of the games, “while a veteran acquisition would handle the remaining 40%.”


Matthew Cerrone: Shoppach should expect to sign a one-year, $2 million deal, based on what I’m hearing from people in search of a catcher. He is actually a perfect compliment to Thole, in that he can’t hit right-handed pitching, but actually hits well against lefties. Plus, Shoppach has been on winnings teams in Tampa Bay, he has some pop and (with seven seasons under his belt) he can probably be considered a veteran at this point.


In addition to Shoppach, Josh BardRamon HernandezDioner NavarroIvan Rodriguez and Jason Varitek are among several free-agent catchers available this off season.