Mets making little progress with David Wright & R.A. Dickey

The Mets are still making little progress in their efforts to sign David Wright and R.A. Dickey to contract extensions this winter, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports, citing club officials.

According to Rosenthal, the Mets offered Wright a six-year, $100 million contract extension on Monday, according to major-league sources.  However, Wright prefers a deal of seven years or longer, sources say.

Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer

This is getting old… and quick. I still think there is zero chance Wright is traded this winter, even if a new contract isn’t worked out. I put Dickey being traded at 49%. But, I’m growing more and more skeptical that new contracts will get done, and that’s ridiculous. I mean, if the Mets really want these guys back, just sign them already…

I’ve written over and over and over again that, while Wright is seeking $20 million a year and at least seven years guaranteed, the Mets have so far only offered six years and around $17 million a year << click to tweet this

As Rosenthal points out, a six-year, $100 million extension would keep Wright on the Mets for as long as as Ryan Zimmerman is on the Nationals, but three years less than Evan Longoria will be with the Rays. Guys, just give him the seventh year. He’s earned it in sweat and off-field capital, I’d say. Also, put a C on  his jersey while you’re at it…

Michael Baron, Contributor

11:38 am: Based on what Dickey said and Martino’s report, it looks like the Mets could be focused on getting Wright’s situation squared away first. It would be nice of both deals were wrapped up before the Winter Meetings begin next week so the Mets could focus their efforts on improving other areas of the roster. It would also ease my nerves and create stability in their situations and the team’s situation, things I’ve said the Mets have needed to show since the off-season began.