Starting today, based on unique language in his contract, the Mets have three days to decide whether to pick up David Wright’s $16 million contract, according to ESPN New York.In his column for the
In case you missed in Saturday, Joel Sherman of the New York Post said 10 team officials outside the Mets organization believe David Wright and the Mets will eventually agree to a long-term contract extension, which they expect will be worth at seven-year, $127 million contract extension, in addition to his $16 million option for 2013.
The total suggested package would be for eight years and $143 million, which would would make Wright the highest paid player in franchise history. According to Sherman, all 10 of his sources believe Wright will want a deal worth more than Johan Santana’s six-year, $137.5 million and Ryan Zimmerman’s eight years and $126 million.
In a poll to MetsBlog.com on Saturday, 71 percent of 5,500 voters said the Mets should offer the above contract to Wright.
In polls earlier this month, voters were split on whether to pay Wright more than $18 million per season, though the overwhelming majority agreed he should be signed for another seven to eight years.
“This would be a pretty good deal for both parties,” another NL executive told Sherman. “[Wright] is still a very good player and when you look at his age and position, there is a little less risk than most guys entering their 30s.”
On Thursday, Andy Martino of the Daily News said the Mets were still in preliminary discussions with Wright on a new contract, although Sandy Alderson has already discussed the team’s long-term plans with Wright.
Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer
In early October, I said I thought the Mets would start negotiations with a six-year deal to begin after next year’s option, meaning Wright would be under contract the next seven seasons. Also in that post, I explained how Wright’s camp will likely milk talks until at least after the World Series, with both sides likely haggling over that 2020 option. If it’s guaranteed, the result will be almost identical to the eight-year, $143 million contract posed by Sherman’s sources.
That said, it’s a forgone conclusion that Wright’s option will be picked up. He is under contract and I think there is zero chance of trading him (regardless of whether they agree to an extension this winter or not), so there is real rush to getting a deal done (other than it puts everyone at ease). So, despite the timeline, I bet these negotiations are done very quietly, and with the ability for both sides to take their time and and do lots of ‘circling back.’ In other words, this is a deal that could come out of the blue, especially if being worked on while other deals are trying to be made.
To read Michael Baron's thoughts on this deal, click here.
Michael Baron, ContributorAt a shade under $18 million a year, I think that’s a fair and reasonable deal for a star player in New York and the Mets should sign him at that figure. If the Mets can get something along those lines done – and soon – it would end the questions, speculation and uncertainty about Wright’s future, but it would also go a very long way towards showing other players, media and fans that the organization is once again capable of investing big money in the marketplace, even if they don’t intend to do so this on other players this winter.
I expect the Mets will exercise Wright’s option for next season no matter what – they have until five days after the conclusion of the World Series to get that done. As I’ve said, the language from both sides indicates there is strong mutual interest to get a deal done. But it’s not reasonable to set a timetable on it, nor is it reasonable to think the Mets can snap their fingers and get a new deal done. The Mets have publicly stated they intend to handle Wright’s contract situation different than that of Jose Reyes last winter – considering how that turned out, their words are encouraging. But actions speak louder than words, especially as they try and change the perception of the state of the franchise.