The Mets have selected North Carolina RHP Matt Harvey, with the seventh pick of the draft.
Tonight on a conference call with reports, Mets representatives talked about Harvey and essentially said:
- He’s big, strong and durable, similar to Mike Pelfrey.
- He has a power arm, capable of throwing his fastball between 91 and 98 mph.
- His curve ball sits in 80s, his change-up in the low 80s, and and his slider in the mid-80s.
- He pitches off his fastball, but all of his pitches are usable.
- He has good command and control for his age.
- He was already very good in high school, but benefited from college coaching.
- He’s going to be a strike thrower, using both sides of the plate.
- He is represented by Scott Boras.
Original Post at 7:43 pm:
To see video of Harvey, watch this clip from MLB.com, who writes:
- Harvey was throwing his fastball up to 96-97 mph and sustaining the velocity deep into his start.
- He’s improved his mound presence and worked on maintaining the same approach regardless of what happens around him.
- He showed a plus fastball and shows flashes of the above-average breaking stuff he once had. He’s also got a feel for a changeup.
- There are still some delivery issues, though what got him out of whack as a sophomore has largely been corrected. Command is still a problem at times.
- Harvey was showing an above-average to plus fastball and maintaining his velocity, to go along with glimpses of good breaking stuff and a feel for a change.
…Connecticut in the house… nice… he’s from Mystic… anyway…
…i talked to one person this week who thought he’d be the best fit for the Mets, because he’s a mature, confident, big kid, who isn’t afraid to pitch inside and go after hitters…
…this is fine by me… i’m not going to pretend to know if this is a great pick or not, mostly because we won’t know for at least a couple of years… but, i’m all for selecting pitchers… pitching, pitching, pitching… it’s far easier to sign a bat on the open market, but big-time pitching is so hard to come by… so, to me, draft all the arms you can and hope at least one turns in to the real deal…
…hopefully, harvey is it…
Updated at 7:50 pm:
Here is more video of Harvey: