Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says the Mets are currently negotiating with David Wright on a contract extension.
However, while Heyman says the two sides have made progress on a new deal, negotiations have been “slow.” Therefore, if a new agreement cannot be reached by tomorrow, the Mets will exercise Wright’s option for 2013 first, and continue negotiating an extension.
Per the language in Wright’s contract, the Mets have until tomorrow to exercise his option for 2013.
Wright just completed the final year Wright of a six-year, $55 million contract he signed during the 2006 season. He has a $16 million club option for 2013 with a $1 million buyout.
Earlier this month, Sandy Alderson told Mike Francesa on WFAN he intended to move quickly on a contract extension for Wright, and Mike Puma of the New York Post said it was possible the Mets could have new deals for both Dickey and Wright before the start of the World Series.
However, last Thursday, Andy Martino of the Daily News said the Mets were still in preliminary discussions with Wright on a new contract, although Sandy Alderson has already discussed the team’s long-term plans with Wright.
Michael Baron, ContributorI’m still confident a deal will get done between both sides. I don’t think the fact negotiations are going slow is an indication it won’t get done. It’s presumably a very large contract extension, and those deals tend to have more complicated factors which need to be defined by both sides. Taking that into account, it was probably premature to tell the New York Post a deal could be worked out before the World Series, or even by the end of October. But if it gets done sometime in November, or even before the Winter Meetings, that’s fine too – it just needs to get done. The sooner this can be wrapped up, the better things will be for the team, for reasons ranging from the perception of the franchise to being able to project future payrolls and moving onto other immediate needs.