According to WFAN’s Ed Coleman, the Mets and David Wright have agreed to terms on a new contract extension that will be the richest in team history << click to tweet this.
9:09 am: The Mets will not announce the deal today, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reports on Twitter, due to a physical and other minor issues remaining. Also, Wright is in Florida with teammates at Daniel Murphy’s weekend wedding, according to multiple reports.
MetsBlog’s Matthew Cerrone says the team is likely to hold a formal press conference the week after next, when the front office is back from the MLB Winter Meetings.
3:02 am: In an on-air report at 3 am, Coleman said the deal will cover the next eight years and pay Wright $138 million. He will earn his $16 million next year, which was part of his previous contract, after which he will earn $122 million the following seven seasons.
8:25 am: “This is a great step forward. It shows the organization steps up when they have to. It’s great for the Mets and our fans,” Terry Collins told Mike Puma of the New York Post.
“I grew up a Met fan, I was developed, drafted by this team,” Wright said at the end of this past season. “There’s a lot of joy in putting this uniform on everyday. Hopefully it keeps going for a long time.”
Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer
8:44 am: So, I wonder if this frees up money in next year’s budget, since there is a good chance Wright could be paid less than he would have been in 2013, now that we know it’s a new deal. For instance, perhaps he now gets $12 million in 2013, not $16 million, while later earning nearly double per season at the end of the contract. I guess we’ll know more in the weeks ahead, but that (plus deferring Jason Bay’s money) could realistically free up new money to spend now… just a thought.
2:23 am: I don’t want to go too bananas here, because in reality the team is no better or worse today than yesterday. That said, I’m a David Wright fan, this team needs his leadership and bat, he belongs here, and I’m really happy to see this get done.
This is great news, for a few reasons…
First, I had written over and over and over again for weeks now that, while Wright was seeking $20 million a year and at least seven years guaranteed, the Mets had been thinking more like six years at $17 million a year. This past Monday, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reported this as the team’s first offer, which I’ve heard the team deny ever happened. But, I believe Rosenthal, and eventually Andy Martino of the Daily News reported later that day that the Mets countered with a seven-year extension. However, Wright then went public on MLBTradeRumors.com dismissing the reports and calling them ‘inaccurate.’ Today, Martino returned to say, though the deal is heavily backloaded, it was simply one conversation away from getting done. Clearly he was right, and here we are… I’m sure the deal pays Wright less early and the bulk of the money later in the deal. But, in either case, it looks like the two sides ended up reaching a good compromise, with Wright getting his eight years through 2020, as well as the richest contract in team history by $500,000, but with the total contract being slightly less than the $20 million a year he was seeking.
Second, I’m thrilled this is out of the way before the front office leaves for the MLB Winter Meetings, which start next Monday in Nashville. Again, as I mentioned this morning, there is lots of buzz that the Mets hope to be active next week. I don’t think they plan to sit on their hands, as some fans fear. They are working a few trade scenarios, most including R.A. Dickey and Jon Niese, and I’m fairly certain they’re eyeing deals with one or two light-weight free agents. I have no idea if trades will be made. However, according to people from other organizations, the Mets are talking and looking to be active. I hope things go their way, because only re-signing Wright is not nearly enough to improve this team for next year.
Lastly, good for Eddie Coleman. That’s awesome that he broke this story…
Michael Baron, Contributor
8:30 am: This is an important step for the Mets, especially since they got it done before the Winter Meetings. They have shown they have the ability to invest in the Major League roster, something many people – both fans and people around the game – were skeptical the Mets could do. But they also eliminate the possibility of Wright being traded next week, something I had been growing more and more nervous about as time went on. Much work still needs to be done here, but now the focus can shift to R.A. Dickey and other areas of the roster.