The Arizona Fall League began on Tuesday night in Surprise, Arizona. The AFL is often used for players to get extra work due to injury-plagued seasons, but organizations also use the AFL to look at fringe players in their organization to determine whether or not they will retain them in future seasons.
Mets prospects RHP Jeurys Familia, RHP Chasen Bradford, OF Cory Vaughn, RHP Hansel Robles, RHP Cody Satterwhite, C Cam Maron, and 3B Aderlin Rodriguez are participating with the Scottsdale Scorpions.
Here is a quick recap of the first four days for the Mets:
- Satterwhite hasn’t allowed a baserunner in two innings over two relief appearances, and has recorded one save in those two games. Satterwhite, 26, went 2-2 with a 2.78 ERA in 16 relief appearances with Single-A St. Lucie in 2013. Satterwhite did not pitch in 2012, and the Mets signed him out of the Independent League during the season.
- Bradford also hasn’t allowed a baserunner in two relief appearances, recording two strikeouts while finishing one game for Scottsdale. Bradford, 24, went a combined 9-3 with a 2.61 ERA with Single-A St. Lucie and Double-A Binghamton in 2013.
- Robles was roughed up in his only relief appearances for Scottsdale this week, allowing two runs and a walk in one inning of work. Robles, 23, went 5-5 with a 3.78 ERA combined with the GCL Mets and Single-A St. Lucie in 2013.
- Maron is off to a good start at the plate for the Scorpions, going 2-for-5 with a double and a walk over his first two games of the Fall season. Maron, 22, struggled this past season with Single-A St. Lucie, hitting .235 with only 15 extra-base hits in 84 games in 2013.
- Vaughn is off to a really rough start at the plate this fall, striking out seven times and going only 1-for-13 at the plate. Vaughn, who will be 25 next May, hit .252 with ten home runs and 54 RBI in only 92 games with the GCL Mets, Single-A St. Lucie, and Double-A Binghamton in 2013.
- Rodriguez isn’t faring much better than Vaughn at the plate, going 0-for-7 over his first two games. Rodriguez, 21, appeared in just 62 games for Single-A St. Lucie in 2013, hitting .260 with nine home runs and 41 RBI with 11 walks and 43 strikeouts in 246 at-bats.
For complete coverage of the Mets minor leagues, be sure to check out SNY’s Mets Minor League Blog.