Johan Santana has not started throwing

Today in Coney Island, Johan Santana spoke with reporters and said he has not yet started his off-season throwing program, nor does he had a date for when it will begin.

Before the season ended, Terry Collins told reporters Santana would begin throwing in January. Collins attributed much of Santana’s late-season fatigue to his recovery from shoulder surgery, which he underwent in September 2010.

Santana went 6-9 with a 4.85 ERA in 21 starts this season. After his no-hitter on June 1, Santana went 3-7 with a 8.27 ERA over his final ten starts, and averaged just under five innings per start over that span. He lost his last five starts and had a 15.63 ERA in only 19 innings over that span.

He was placed on the disabled list and ended his season on August 22 after an MRI showed inflammation in his lower back.

Michael Baron, Contributor

This shouldn’t be a concern. Johan has said in the past that he normally begins his throwing program in January, which means he should have a normal off-season routine. Last year, Santana said he began throwing in December as part of his rehab, and it’s possible that whole process contributed to his issues as the season wore on. He hasn’t thrown since late August, so hopefully a normal winter routine will benefit Santana, which will enable him to better withstand a full season in 2013.


Santana is entering the final year of a six-year, $137.5 million contract he signed with the Mets before the 2008 season. Santana will earn $25.5 million in 2013 and the team holds a $25 million option on Santana for 2014 – they can opt to buy the option out for $5.5 million and make Santana a free agent after next season.