SI.com’s Jon Heyman believes the Mets are interested in Giants 1B prospect Brandon Belt, RHP Zach Wheeler or OF Gary Brown, as well as Phillies OF Dominick Brown.
However, ESPN’s Buster Olney believes it is ‘highly doubtful’ that the Phillies will give up Brown or the Giants will give up Wheeler in a deal for Carlos Beltran.
For what it’s worth, Heyman also feels it is ‘highly doubtful’ the Braves will part with Mike Minor in a deal for Beltran, despite multiple reports mentioning his name in rumors connecting the two teams.
Added to by Matthew Cerrone:
Basically, despite Wheeler and Mike Minor from the Braves being mentioned, I’ve heard from lots of people that Sandy Alderson is most interested in acquiring the best young bat he can find. In the event of Belt, I wonder what that would mean for Ike Davis?
To see Belt’s stats, click here.
Here are other updates about Beltran over the last day or so:
- Insiders expect Beltran to insist on being traded to an NL team.
- Trade talks for Beltran are down to the Red Sox, Giants, Phillies, Braves and Rangers.
- The Mets are watching Braves LHP Mike Minor, who they might be able to get plus another prospect in a deal with Atlanta.
- The Phillies remain the favorites to land Beltran, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com, though Buster Olney of ESPN believes the Braves have the best shot.
- Two executives believe the Giants will eventually acquire Beltran from the Mets for a package that includes top OF prospect Gary Brown:
- The Mets are seeking top prospects from the Red Sox for Beltran.
- The Mets will likely seek top OF prospect Dominic Brown in a deal with the Phillies.
- The Mets have provided Beltran a list of teams to consider being traded to; knowing there are at least 6 teams he is willing to move to.
To see previous posts about Beltran and the trade deadline, use this page on MetsBlog.com, which can always be found at the menu on the top of the blog.