Earlier today, MLB Network’s on-air news ticker accidentally said Frank Francisco will likely miss the entire 2013 season. They have since corrected it to read “2012.”
Francisco had previously been diagnosed with right elbow tendinitis, and he has not pitched since September 16 against the Brewers.
Earlier this week, Terry Collins said it was possible Francisco could be shutdown for the rest of the season, although a decision had not yet been reached.
To read previous updates to this post, click here.
Matthew Cerrone, Lead Writer
Sept. 26, 12:00 pm: I have not heard anything on this news, other than this vague tweet, and I have yet to see a team beat reporter write about it in this was, as well. This is not to say MLB Network is wrong, it’s just I have no idea what they’re specifically referring to… and it could be they’re just botching the actual news from yesterday. I mean, maybe they meant to say he’ll miss the rest of 2012. Who knows? At any rate, we wait…
In the meantime, it’s worth noting that it is very unlikely the team has the type insurance needed to cover Francisco’s salary for next year, in the event he is out for the season. It seems most teams and most players lack this level coverage these days, instead opting to self-insure basically. Also, I recall hearing it is almost impossible for teams to get insurance on deals shorter than five years.
Francisco is 1-3 with a 5.53 ERA in 48 games this season with 23 saves in 26 opportunities. He is completing the first year of a two-year, $12 million contract he signed during the Winter Meetings in 2011. He is earning $5.5 million this season – he will earn $6.5 million next season.
Michael Baron, Contributor
Sept. 23, 2012: This would be the icing on the cake for Francisco, as it has been an absolute loss of a season for him. He started off strong, but began to falter almost immediately. He reached a low point in Miami in early May when he blew two saves in three days. He seemed to bounce back after that, but then injured his oblique, missed six weeks, and never got on track again.
He was intended to solidify the back end of the bullpen, and he’s done anything but this season. And, if he’s lost for all of next year, the Mets will have gotten nothing out of him. What’s worse, the Mets have to pick up the pieces and find somebody to step into his role. The issue is, the Mets originally signed Francisco due to the fact they had no internal options for closer at the end of last season – those options haven’t changed much over that time period.