Team Venezuela defeated the Mets by the score of 14-10 today at Tradition Field.
The Least You Should Know…
- Jon Niese started for the Mets, and he allowed four runs in 2 1/3 innings.
- Scott Atchison contributed a scoreless inning of relief, but Carlos Torres, Elvin Ramirez, and Hansel Robles combined to allow ten runs in five innings of relief.
- Collin Cowgill had two doubles and two RBI, Marlon Byrd hit a three-run home run, and Wilmer Flores homered in the ninth inning.
- Lucas Duda drew two walks and went 0-for-2.
- Jordany Valdespin replaced Byrd midway through the game in center field – it was his first appearance in the outfield this Spring.
For a full recap and box score, check out MLB.com.
Michael Baron, Contributor
It’s still early, but Byrd has been killing it this Spring. If this continues, he and Collin Cowgill will be locks for the Opening Day roster and potentially starting jobs in the outfield.
The Mets resume Grapefruit League play when they host the Marlins tomorrow afternoon at Tradition Field, with Matt Harvey facing Ricky Nolasco at 1:10 pm.