Ryan Doumit could sign with a team soon

According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN, Ryan Doumit has received multiple offers and expects to sign a new contract soon.

Earlier this month, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports said Doumit, who will be 31 on April 3, would be willing to catch, play the outfield, or even be a designated hitter next season.

At the end of September, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York said it was unlikely Ronny Paulino would return next season, as the organization soured on his abandonment for game plans and his lethargy which was on display over the course of the second half. However, Rubin suggested if the Mets were to retain Jose Reyes, they could go with a combination of Mike Nickeas and Josh Thole behind the plate next season.

[line]

Michael Baron: One of the areas I always thought the Mets needed to address was versatility on the roster. To a certain degree, they had that in 2011 with Scott Hairston; a guy who could play all three outfield positions and first base, but all-in-all, their roster has been very static in that regard.

In regards to Doumit, he provides that versatility to a larger degree, and he would add a higher level of depth to the roster not just behind the plate, but in the outfield and at first base as well; two areas which serve as question marks going into next season. He isn’t going to knock anyone’s socks off defensively at any position, but he would add some pop and given his versatility, it could still allow time for Nickeas to develop as well. He’s a switch hitter who is fairly even from both sides of the plate although he has more pop from the left side than he does the right.

Of course, the issue with Doumit is his health, and he’s missed quite a bit of time since 2009, playing no more than 124 games in any of those three seasons and more than 75 games just once. That recent history could serve as a red flag for a lot of clubs, especially the Mets.

[line]

Doumit just completed a three year, $11.5 million contract he signed with the Pirates in December, 2008. The Pirates recently declined his 2012 option which was valued at $7.25 million, and he earned $5.2 million in 2011. He was put on the 60-day disabled list on May 30 after spraining his ankle and did not return until the beginning of August.

[line]