Capuano seeking 2-year deal, Mets eye 1-year deals

Last week, Andy McCullough of the Star Ledger said both parties were interested in a new deal, but Capuano was on the “backburner” for the Mets.

[line]

Michael Baron: Capuano tended to be outstanding early in games this past season; but once he reached the 60-pitch mark, he began to falter and he often allowed crooked numbers to the opposition in the middle innings. That could be attributed to arm strength and stamina as a result of not pitching a full season since 2007, but he never let on to that being the case. Nevertheless, if he has these types of issues, he might be more valuable as a reliever at this point in his career; although I’m sure he is looking to be a starting pitcher – if not with the Mets, then somewhere else.

[line]

Matthew Cerrone: (from Nov. 3, 2011) In late September, all signs pointed to the Mets making an attempt to re-sign Capuano this off season. The thing is, in looking at the market, I think it’s fair to say he’ll get a guaranteed contract this time around. I bet he can find a $6- or $7-million per-season deal. However, as I’ve been saying for weeks, I’ve heard teams might be giving more two-year contracts this winter (to guys like Capuano (thus lowering the annual salary a bit). So, in the case of Chris, who had a stable, mostly-decent season last year, I can see him being offered a two-year, $10 million deal to be a starting pitcher … and, as I’ve said before, I’m not sure that is what Sandy Alderson has in mind.

[line]

The 33-year-old Capuano signed a one-year deal with the Mets last winter. He was 11-12 with a 4.55 ERA in 33 appearances for the Mets last season, during which he struck out 168 batters and walked 53 in 186 innings. He had an 8.61 ERA in the 6th inning this past season and a 12.15 ERA in the seventh inning.

[line]