Here is a recap of today’s top stories featured on MetsBlog.com:
- Johan Santana threw a bullpen session today, then told reporters he is feeling well, all of which you can watch here.
- Matt Harvey also threw a bullpen session, which you can watch here.
- Free-agent LHP Scott Kazmir hit 91 mph with his fastball during a workout for scouts today, which you can read more about here.
- Michael Baron talked with Lucas Duda about his defense, which you can read here.
- The Mets flew flags at half mast in Digital Domain Park today in honor of Gary Carter, which you can see here.
- Speaking of Carter, there was some outstanding writing about him across the web this morning, the best of which you can find here.
Here are some classic Gary Carter photos that have been posted online today:
Lastly, to see SNY.TV’s photo gallery honoring Carter, click here.
The Empire State Building has just informed me that blue and orange lights will shine tonight in honor of Gary Carter!
— Senator Marty Golden (@SenMartyGolden) February 17, 2012
According to MetsBlog’s Matthew Cerrone, the Mets did not have a scout in Houston today to watch Scott Kazmir’s workout.
In a post to Twitter, Newsday’s David Lennon said the team simply was ‘not interested.’
Original Post at 2:36 pm
“Kazmir threw at about 86-87 mph today, touched 89 mph in his workout,” ESPN.com’s Buster Olney said on Twitter. “That’s better than last season with the Angels.”
According to Olney, there were roughly 10 scouts in attendance, To read more of this story, click here
Today in St. Lucie, David Wright had the following to say about Gary Carter:
[jbox color=”gray”]”Obviously, it’s a sad day. … You put on this uniform and you see all the pictures of Gary celebrating and smiling, you strive to be that type of player and that type of person. I mean, being around him, you understand the excitement he has for this game. Coming up from the minor leagues, when I broke in to the big leagues, even until a month ago, Gary kept in touch. He would call and want to talk baseball and talk about the team, and talk about what I was feeling at the plate. It was incredible, for him to be in the situation he was in, to take time out, 15, 20 minutes, just to talk baseball, hearing his voice and him talking about the game, those will be my lasting memories and something that will stick with me pretty vividly.”[/jbox]
To see video of Wright talking about Carter, go here on SNY.TV.
Johan Santana threw a 25-pitch bullpen session in St. Lucie today.
According to SNY’s Matt Dunn, Terry Collins described today as a ‘big day,’ he was very pleased, and, barring any unforeseen issues, Johan will likely throw again on Tuesday.
To see video of Johan pitching today, and to see clips from his talk with reporters, watch this:
To see pictures of Santana’s bullpen session, check out this post from earlier today.